Thursday, April 19, 2012

Camden's New Look


Yep, my baby boy has to wear glasses.  Today, we got to pick up one pair of Camden's glasses.  And making him wear these is going to be a struggle.  In one day, he managed to scratch one lens and lose them in our neighbor's yard.  So glad we have another pair coming next week! :)





For those who didn't know, here is the story:

Last Wednesday, I picked up Camden from Parent's Day Out.  The teachers were telling me that Camden had been crossing his eyes several times throughout the day.  Shocked because this was new to me, I immediately called the pediatrician's office.  The nurse wanted us to come in, but we couldn't see our pediatrician because she was not in the office.  After a visit with the doctor, I left worried, and with an ophthalmologist's phone number.  I called and scheduled an appointment with the ophthalmologist a week out. For the rest of the evening, I searched through pictures of Camden, wondering how I missed this.  Wouldn't I have noticed that his eyes were crossing?  It was driving me crazy.

On Thursday, I decided to put a call into the pediatrician's office for Camden's doctor, Dr. Lana, to give me a call.  She doesn't return calls until after hours, so I had to wait all day to talk with her.  She called me around 6:30 pm.  She wanted to see him the next morning, so I made an appointment right away.  By the way, I absolutely adore Dr. Lana!

Friday, I dropped Austin and Hudson off at school and headed straight to the pediatrician.  After screening his vision and checking him out, Dr. Lana made a call to the ophthalmologist, Dr. Byrd.  They decided that he should be checked out by Dr. Byrd right away, then we would go from there.  Camden and I hopped in the car, and found our way to Dr. Byrd's office.  After some tests, Camden was diagnosed with being farsighted in both eyes.  He will have to wear his glasses all the time.  Dr. Byrd suggested a couple of places for glasses, so we went to check them out.

Our first stop wouldn't take our insurance.  The second stop, on the other side of town, was a nightmare.  By this point, Camden was completely worn out, and so was I.  I gave up!  We left that place, and I cried all the way home.  Luckily, my mom was taking care of the other two boys, so I didn't have to worry about them.  Camden and I stopped by Walgreen's before going home.  I let him get a ball to cheer him up, and I loaded up on candy.  We met my mom and the boys at home, then let the boys play for a while.  While they were playing, I was calling around to different optical places.  We all (me, my mom, and 3 boys) got in the car and tried our luck at one more place.  It was a success!  I got 2 pair of glasses ordered for Camden.

So, there you have it!  That's the story.

I have learned a whole lot from this experience.  It's amazing how God works on us with every situation.  I could definitely feel him tugging on me in several areas of my life.  My boys mean the world to me and I hate to see anything wrong with them.  With Camden's situation, this was the best outcome.  It could have been something that couldn't be corrected with glasses.  I found myself questioning why I have always hated wearing glasses.  Shouldn't I be thankful that I have something to correct my vision?  How can I teach my son to feel good about himself when I complain about so much?  Thank you God for making me realize some things through this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment